- Kimondo JM. 2015. Using data to tackle climate change. In the July Issue of the African Technopolitan – A magazine of ACTS pp86-87.
- Kimondo, JM, Agea JG, Okia CA, Abohassan, RAA, Ndeunyema, ETNN,Woiso DA, Teklehaimanot Z and Mulatya J. 2012. Physiochemical and nutritional characterization of Vitex payos (Lour.) Merr. (Verbenaceae): An indigenous fruit tree of Eastern Africa. Journ Hort. For4(10): 161-168.
- Katumbi NM, Kinyanjui MJ, Kimondo JM and Mware MJ (2017) Biomass Energy Resource of the Highland Bamboo (Yushania alpina) and Its Potential for Sustainable Exploitation in Southern Aberdares Forest. Journal of Sustainable Bioenergy Systems , 7, 85-97. https://doi.org/10.4236/jsbs.2017.73007
- Kimondo J.M., Oduor N. M., Kamondo B.M. and Ochieng D.O. (2016). (eds). Commercialization of Non-Wood Forest Products through linking to SMEs and Community Groups. KEFRI, Kenya. Pp 30
- Kimondo J.M., Agea JG, Okia CA, Woiso DA, Abohassan RAA, Mulatya J and Teklehaimanot Z. 2014. Distribution and regeneration status of Vitex payos (Lour.) Merr. in Kenyan drylands. Journal of Horticulture and Forestry 6(9): 81-91
- Woiso DA, Shemdoe RS, Agea JG, Okia CA, Kimondo J.M., Teklehaimanot, Z and Mwang’ingo P. 2014. Regeneration, soils and associates of three subspecies of Sclerocarya birrea in Tanzania. Agricultural Journal 9(4): 173-182
- Gathara M, Makenzi P, Kimondo J.M. and Muturi GM. 2014. Prediction of Osyris lanceolata (Hochst. & Steud.) site suitability using indicator plant species and edaphic factors in humid highland and dry lowland forests in Kenya. Journal of Horticulture and Forestry. 6(11): 99-106
- Woiso DA, Agea JA, Okia, CA, Kimondo J.M., Abdallah, JM, Shemdoe, RS, Mwang’ingo, P. and Teklehaimanot Z. 2014. Comparison of the subspecies of Sclerocarya birrea by sex and environment. Tanzania Journal of Forestry and Nature Conservation, 83(2):44-68. Tanzania Journal of Forestry and Nature Conservation, 83(2):44-68.
- Okia CA, Agea JG, Kwetegyeka J, Okiror P, Kimondo J.M., Teklehaimanot Z and Obua J. 2013. Nutritional value of commonly consumed desert date tree products. African Crop Science Journal, 21(3): 657 – 667.
- Okia, CA, Kwetegyeka J, Okiror P, Kimondo J.M., Teklehaimanot Z and Obua J. 2013. Physico-chemical characteristics and fatty acid profile of desert date kernel oil. African Crop Science Journal, 21(3):723- 734
- Abohassan, RAA, Okia, CA, Agea, JC, Kimondo J.M. and McDonald, MC 2012. Perennial Biomass production in Arid Mangrove Systems on the Red Sea Coast of Saudi Arabia. Environmental Research Journal 6(1): 22-31.
- Gathara M, Makenzi P, Kimondo J.M. and Muturi GM. 2014, Prediction of Osyris lanceolata (Hochst. & Steud.) site suitability using indicator plant species and edaphic factors in humid highland and dry lowland forests in Kenya. Journal of Horticulture and Forestry. 6(11), 99-106
- Agea, JG, Kimondo J.M., Okia, CA, Abohassan, RAA, Obua, J, Hall, J and Teklehaimanot, Z. 2011. Contribution of Wild and Semi Wild Food Plants to Overall Household Diet in Buyoro-Kitara Kingdom, Uganda. Agricultural Journal 6(4): 134-144.
- Okia, CA, Agea, JG, Kimondo J.M., Abohassan, RAA, Okiror, P, Obua, J and Teklehaimanot, Z. 2011. Use and management of Balanites aegyptiaca in drylands of Uganda. Research Journal of Biological Sciences. 6(1):15-24.
- Kimondo J.M., Okia, CA, Agea, JG, Abohassan, RAA, Mulatya, J & Teklehaimanot, Z. 2011. Estimating fruit yield from Vitex payos (Lour) Merr. in semi arid Eastern province of Kenya: application of allometric equations. Research Journal of Applied Sciences 6(3): 153-162.
- Okia, CA, Agea, JG, Kimondo J.M., Abohassan, RAA, Obua, JA & Teklehaimanot, Z. 2011. Harvesting and processing of Balanites aegyptiaca leaves and fruits for local consumption by rural communities in Uganda. Journal of Food Technology 9(2): 83-90.
- Agea, JG, Okia, CA, Abohassan, RAA, Kimondo J.M., Obua, J, Hall, J. & Teklehaimanot, Z. 2011. Wild and Semi Wild Food Plants of Bunyoro-Kitara Kingdom of Uganda: Growth Forms, Collection Niches, Parts Consumed, Consumption Patterns, Main Gatherers and Consumers. Environmental Research Journal 5(2): 74-86.
- Kimondo J.M., Agea, JG, Okia, CA, Abohassan, RAA, Mulatya, J & Teklehaimanot, Z. 2010. Vitex payos (Lour.) Merr fruit trees in drylands areas of Eastern Kenya: Uses, Marketing and Management. Botany Research Journal 3(1–4):14–21
- Agea, JG, Okia, CA, Abohassan, RAA, Kimondo J.M., Tumwebaze, SB, Ndemere, P, Buyinza, P, & Obua,J.2010. The impacts of land use and forest activities on Tree species composition and structure on the edges of Budongo Forest Reserve, Uganda. Botany Research Journal 3(1-4):7-13
Technical Notes /Protocols/Guidelines
- Hyvönen P, Haakana H, Muchiri MN, Muga M, Bekuta BK, Kimondo J.M., Mbithi DM, Ngugi J, Nduati PN, Karega S, Kinyanjui M and Ojuang F. 2016 (compilers). Field Manual for Tree Volume and Biomass Modelling. Improving Capacity in Forest Resources Assessment in Kenya (IC-FRA). Nairobi. http://kefri.org/wp-content/uploads/PDF/Publications/FM_Biomass.pdf
- Kimondo J.M., Oduor N. M., Kamondo B.M. and Ochieng D.O. (2016). (eds). Commercialization of Non-Wood Forest Products through linking to SMEs and Community Groups. KEFRI, Kenya. 30Pp
- Kimondo J.M., Njuguna, JW. Ng’ang’a, J. Karuno, O and Orao B. 2020. Growth performance of Casuarina junghuhniana provenances in two sites in Kenya. In: Haruthaithanasan M., Pinyopusarerk K., Nicodemus A., Bush D. and Thomson L. (eds.) 2020.Casuarinas for green economy and environmental sustainability. Proceedings of the Sixth International Casuarina Workshop held at Krabi, Thailand, 21-25 October 2019. Kasetsart Agricultural and Agro-Industrial Product Improvement Institute, Kasetsart University: Bangkok. 162-170.
- P.C. Ogutu, M.O. Muga, R. Pretorius, C. Obonyo, V.Yegon, V.Oriwo,,E.Kitheka2, N.Oduor, J.Githiomi and Kimondo J.M..Piloting Commercial Production of Charcoal Briquettes from Sugarcane Bagasse in Homa-Bay County. A paper presented during the 5th KEFRI Conference at KEFRI Muguga, 17-19, April 2018
- E. Kitheka, C.Ogutu, N. Oduor, M.Muga, V. Oriwo, C.Ingutia, Kimondo J.M. and J.Githiomi. Piloting biomass energy audit for energy conservation in Homa-Bay County, Kenya. A paper presented during the 5th KEFRI Conference at KEFRI Muguga, 17-19, April 2018
- Oduor, N., E. Kitheka, Kimondo J.M., J. ,Kimwemwe, , N.Hussein, and G.Omedo (2018). Improved Earth and Casamance kilns for enhanced efficiency and environmental conservation A paper presented at the 5th KEFRI Scientific Conference held at KEFRI Hqs; 17th – 19th April 2018.
- Omenda, T.O., Kimondo J.M., and Muchiri M.N. 1998. Establishment of Natural Regeneration Management Trial of Cupressus lusitanica in Londiani - Kenya. In Proceedings, Modelling the Growth of Tree plantation and Agroforestry Systems in South and East Africa. The University of Joensuu, Faculty of Forestry Technical Note No.80.
Chief Research Scientist - KEFRI
- July 1983 to June 1986 Seconded to KARI until FRD translated into the current KEFRI
- May 1983
Assistant Conservator of Forests and posted to Kenya Agricultural Research Institute (KARI), Forest Research Department (FRD)
Mentorship and Supervision
- Supervision of Monicah Ndirangu; MSc Karatina University Registration N223/5121P/13. Thesis Title: Biomass energy potential of the highland bamboo (Yushania alpina) and possibility for sustainable exploitation in southern Aberdares forest. 2018
- Supervision of Mary Gathara: MSc Egerton University. Thesis Title: Biophysical environmental factors influencing the distribution and yield of Osyris lanceolata (hochst & steud). Case study of Gachuthi and Kibwezi forests, Kenya. 2015
- Supervised several Final Year Students in Karatina University in the School of Natural Sciences
Forest Resource Assessment
- Taught on part time basis in Karatina University taking BSc Forestry Class in Silviculture and Tree management; and Forest Biometrics for 3 years
- Taught MSc Class Dryland Tree Management at Karatina Unversity
- Kimondo et al. (2017). A baseline study on Business Incubation for forest and farm enterprises in Kenya. Report prepared for Farm and Forestry Facility of the FAO, Nairobi.
- Kimondo JM, Kiama S and Kagombe JK. 2015. Cherangani Hills Forest Strategic Ecosystem Management Plan 2015 – 2040. Kenya Forest Service, Nairobi.
- Kagombe JK, Kimondo JM and Kiama S. 2015. North and South Nandi Forests Strategic Ecosystem Management Plan 2015 – 2040. Kenya Forest Service, Nairobi.
- Kiama S, Kagombe JK, Kimondo JM and 2015. Kakamega Forest Strategic Ecosystem Management Plan 2015-2040. Kenya Forest Service, Nairobi.