Component 2 is implemented by Kenya Forest Service (KFS) in collaboration with the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS), Kenya Water Towers Agency (KWTA) and the Climate Change Directorate (CCD). KFS coordinates component 2 of the WaTER Programme.
The major outcome of Result Area 2 will be improved ecosystem, enhanced livelihoods and a clean environment. The programme will contribute to the country’s attainment of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and help meet Kenya’s Vision 2030. Kenya Forestry Research Institute works with KFS to develop scientific data to ensure better and more efficient, management, conservation and monitoring of the landscapes for increased productivity.
Kenya Forest Service has institutional presence in the landscape of the programme activities including personnel, equipment and infrastructure. Based on this, the programme will use the KFS infrastructure to provide a base and entry point into the activities at field level.
Result Area 2 will seek to improve the quality and quantity of ecosystem services of two of Kenya’s water towers (Mt Elgon and Cherengany) through formulation of integrated management plans and implement the climate change mitigation and adaptation plan in the landscape.
Specifically, this component seeks to enhance ecosystem management and stakeholder participation for improved community livelihood.
1. Strengthened capacity of the implementing institutions for effective service delivery.
2. Sustained provision of ecosystem goods and services in the landscape.
3. Improved landscape productivity and house hold incomes.
4. Increased private sector participation in natural resource management.
5. Enhanced opportunities for human-nature interaction
1. Enhanced Landscape management through harmonized development planning processes.
2. Ecosystem rehabilitated and restored.
3. Developed County opportunities in landscape management.
4. Park infrastructure development is undertaken.
5. Improved Ecosystem resilience.
6. Green Growth Practices applied on the landscape.
© 2018 Kenya's WaTER Towers | All Rights Reserved