Lake Victoria Basin Eco-Region Forestry
Research Programme –
Lake Victoria Basin Eco-Region Forestry Research Programme
is mandated to undertake research in forestry and allied resources
within the Lake Victoria Basin. The region has unique forest resources
such as Kakamega Forest, the only remaining moist equatorial forest
in Kenya, and Ramogi forest, an evergreen dry tropical forest.
The main forestry development challenges addressed by the
Programme include: deforestation; degradation and denudation of
hilltop forests, forest encroachment; resource use conflicts and
overexploitation; and pest and diseases.
The Programme Head Office
is located at Maseno, about 30 km
North of Kisumu City, on Kisumu –
Busia highway near Luanda market.
The Programme has three sub-centres at; Kakamega, Ramogi and Kuja River. The Programme’s activities are undertaken in 11 counties namely;
Siaya, Kisumu, Migori, Homa Bay, Kakamega, Vihiga, Bungoma, Busia, Kisii, Nyamira and Trans-Mara.
Research activities undertaken and products and services offered include:
* Development of technologies and management guidelines for rehabilitation of degraded moist tropical and evergreen dry tropical forests.
* Development and demonstration of technologies for rehabilitation of bare and degraded hills.
* Developing best practices for Participatory Forest Management (PFM).
* Domestication of high value plant species including medicinal plants and indigenous fruit species.
* Development of technologies for soil fertility improvement and provision of high quality fodder.
* Propagation, establishment and management of short rotation woodfuel species.
* Demonstrating methods for riverbank stabilization using bamboo and other indigenous tree species.
* Surveillance and provision of advisory services on forest pests and diseases.
* Technology transfer and dissemination of information through field days, open days, print and electronic media and agricultural shows.
* Sale of high quality tree seeds and seedlings.
* Plant and soil laboratory analysis.
For More Information Please Go to the Contacts Page.