The Government of Kenya through KEFRI in collaboration with JICA is hosting the 4th Regional Training Course on Adaptation to Climate Change in Africa through Social Forestry. The course which is scheduled to run from 15th January to 16th February, 2018 is hosted at KEFRI Headquarters and has attracted 23 participants from 16 countries spanning Central, Eastern and Southern Africa.
The 4 course curriculum will cover topics ranging from policy and institutional issues and measures on adaptation to climate change and development; participatory social forestry extension methodology and livelihood; case studies, research on drought resilient tree species, and implementation action plans, including monitoring and evaluation.
Prof. Judi Wakhungu, CS Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources reiterated the significance of this course as an opportune forum for participants to discuss, share experiences and exchange ideas on how to effectively combat climate change in the continent. She noted that although climate change is a worldwide problem, Africa is particularly affected due to both economic and climatic challenges. She urged participants to be open minded and adopt new technologies and best practices.
Yui Takashima, on behalf of the Chief Representative JICA Kenya Office, thanked the Kenyan Government through the Ministry of Natural Resources and KEFRI for the continued collaboration. He stated that the Government of Japan through JICA will continue supporting various projects through technology cooperation and capacity building as global warming has no respect for borders or boundaries.
Representatives from Embassies of Botswana, Zambia, Sudan, Ethiopia and Uganda who were present at the opening ceremony thanked JICA and KEFRI for the opportunity to train their fellow countrymen with the hope that a lasting solution can be found to combat the menace that is climate change.
- About Us
- Research and Development thematic areas
- Eco-Region Forestry Research Programmes
- Central Highlands Eco-region Research Programme (CHERP)- Muguga
- Drylands Eco- Region Forestry Research Programme – Kitui
- Rift Valley Eco-Region Forestry Research Programme – Londiani
- Lake Victoria Basin Eco-region Forestry Research Programme – Maseno
- Coastal Eco-Region Forestry Research Programme – Gede
- Forest Products Research Centre – Karura
- Centres Map
- Quick Links
- Knowledge Management System
- Data Portal
- Water Towers
- KEFRI/KALRO MANGO RESEARCH
- DSS for Grevillea
- Recent Publications
- KEFRI ANTI CORRUPTION MECHANISMS
- Staff Downloads
- Photo Gallery
- Contact Us